Where Do You Go When Fortunes and Friends Turn Against You?

Psalm 4

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David.

Answer me when I call to you,
    my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
    have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
    How long will you love delusions and seek false gods[b]?[c]
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Tremble and  do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
    and trust in the Lord.
Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
    Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy
    when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.

When someone strikes out against you, or cuts you down,  is your first inclination is to strike back?  I mean how dare they insult me!  David was often maligned by his friends and foes.  This caused him great distress.  Although he was a great leader, he still had moments of loneliness, and needed God to answer and comfort him. 

Apparently the people were letting David have it because things were not going as well as they had thought it should.  In times of prosperity, when things are good, it is easy to trust God.  But David realizes it is the Lord who gives him prosperity.  David also knows that ultimately God will provide, and he will have joy when God brings new grain and wine in abundance.  

Because David's trust in is God ALONE, he lies down in peace and can sleep knowing that in the Lord he is safe.  David took refuge in God when others were doubting him and God's provision for him.  Listen to how David puts ALL of his trust in God with these words:
  1. Let the light of your face shine on us.
  2. Fill my heart with Joy.
  3. You alone make me lie down in safety. 


Where do you go when fortunes and friends turn against you?  David looked to God and laid down at night in peace know He would provide!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!