Jesus' Last Words to the Apostle Peter

Jesus Reinstates Peter

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” 16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” 17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”
In the last chapter of John, Jesus gives special attention to the loveable apostle Peter.  We all know Peter's brash statement that even if all fell away, he would never betray Jesus.  And we all know what happened.  Peter was good at putting his foot into his mouth.  We see Jesus' heart for Peter as he pulls him aside for a "heart to heart" talk post resurrection.  Jesus asks Peter if he loves him. Not once. Not twice. But three times. Three times Jesus asks Peter the same thing and when Peter says yes Jesus says, "Feed my sheep".  What is the meaning of this interaction between Peter and Jesus?
We know that being a shepherd in Jesus' time was just about as common as being a fisherman, Peter's profession.  In Psalm 23 King David says, "The Lord is my shepherd, I will shall not be in want."  In this gospel Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd who lays down his life for his sheep".  And Jesus also says, "I have not lost one of the sheep you have given me."  Both Matthew and Luke tell a parable about a shepherd who loses one sheep out of a hundred and he leaves the ninety nine to find it. So when Jesus tells Peter to "feed my sheep", we have a pretty good idea of what he means.  
The bottom line is as Peter's Good Shepherd, Jesus laid down his life for him.  And now Jesus is telling Peter if he really loves him then he should lay down his life for the sheep Jesus will give him to care for.  Jesus was more than willing to restore Peter to be a chief apostle among the disciples.  Though he had made mistakes Jesus saw his heart.  But he also spells out for Peter what this is going to mean to follow him. Jesus equates love for him with taking care of those whom Jesus loves.  
Do you love Jesus? Really, do you love him?  Really?  Then feed His sheep.  Live out your love for the Lord by loving the people he has put into your life to watch over.  This could be your kids or other people God has put into your life.  Being a shepherd isn't always easy.  Sheep can be pretty difficult.  They wander off.  They get dangerously near the wolves.  But the good shepherd will leave the comfort of those that are found for the one that is lost.  After all that is what Jesus did for us when we were lost.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?