The Litmus Test for the Christian Life!

The Vine and the Branches

John 15 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
These verses spell out clearly what the Christian life looks like.  You will notice it is not about the works we manufacture in our own power.  The passage focuses on our relationship with Christ.  The key word is "remain".  Jesus says, "If we remain in him we will bear much fruit."  The word for "remain" also means to "stay with" or "abide in". The words give a connotation of a close connection.  We might paraphrase that Jesus is saying, "Stay close in your relationship with me and you will bear much fruit."  You will be doing the things God wants you to do.   
Further Jesus says that if a branch bears fruit, it will be pruned so it can bear even more fruit.  Conversely the branch that does not stay connected to the Vine (Jesus) will eventually wither and die, and not be fit for anything.  It will be thrown away and burned in the fire.  In a sobering verse Jesus reminds us, "Apart from me you can do nothing." By the way this is the most often quoted verse in the Lutheran Confessions. Why?  Because it remindsd us that the only truly good works we can do in this life is through the power of Christ living in and through us.  
Finally, a little later Jesus will say that the fruit will produce by abiding in Christ will last forever.  The fruit will go beyond our life in this world.  
So what does it mean to "remain in Christ"?  We shouldn't reduce this to a formula.  Like any relationship it takes effort.  Do you spend time with Jesus?  Listening to him through His Word, which is contained in the bible?  Do you talk to him through prayer?  Do you listen to him through being silent?  Do experience him as you worship and fellowship with God's people.  Do you experience him as you hear the gospel and participate in the holy sacraments? Do you have a Sabbath day when you rest from work and focus on God?  
If you answered no to all these questions, you are most likely not abiding in Christ?  If you answered yes to all these questions you most likely are. You are probably experiencing the joy of producing fruit that shows the world that you are a disciple of Christ.  Your life is giving glory to God.  Friends plain and simple this is what it means to live the Christian life.  It is enjoying a close, personal relationship with Christ that manifests in how you live your life.  As Paul says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?