The Value of a Mid-Term Exam

Image result for examine yourselves

2 Corinthians 13:15
"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?"

As Paul closes out the difficult letter he needed to write to the Corinthians, he ends with this challenge. Though he has given them many exhortations, there is perhaps none more important than this.  Paul asks them to test and examine themselves as to whether they are really Christians.  I don't think Paul is saying this in a "snarky" way.  I think he is really concerned about their salvation.  Their behavior is so unbecoming of a Christian, he worries if they are saved.  In this concern he does not presume to be their judge. Far from it he speaks more in a pastoral tone.  


In reality, the Corinthians were judging him based on their own worldly standards.  Paul is saying before you judge me, take a hard look at yourselves.  Examine your own life.  And for Paul the lithmus test was if Jesus was in them.  To put it another way, did they have a relationship God through Christ.  Jesus came to restore our relationship with him, and as we trust in Him, He lives inside of us.  


Paul says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17


And, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20-21


Again I don't think Paul is judging anyone's salvation as only God can do that, but he is asking them an honest question.  As we examine ourselves, our eyes should be on Christ. Is my behavior increasingly in alignment with Jesus' character?  Am I becoming more Christ-like in the way I treat others?  Am I sensitive to the Holy Spirit and obedient to His promptings? 


The one good thing about a test is it shows you where you are at. We take mid term exams in school to see how we are doing so far.  It helps us see where we are at when we will eventually take the final exam.  


It is good every now and then to step back and look at our lives in relationship to who we claim to be.  If someone were to watch us day in and day out, would there be enough evidence to convict us of being a Christ follower?  Paul posed this question to the Corinthians and I think it is good for us to examine and test ourselves too.  


Remember too it is the Holy Spirit who lives in you and reminds you daily that you are in Christ.  He is a downpayment guaranteeing our future inheritance! It is only by relying on the Spirit of Christ can you be the person God created you to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?