The Worst Kind of Vanity!

Image result for do not receive the grace of god in vain
As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.
We all remember the song by Carly Simon, "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you, your're so vain."  Paul is talking about a different kind of vanity as he pleads with the Corinthians, "Not to receive God's grace in vain." What does he mean by this? 
One commentator said, "Many Christians struggle at this very point. Is God supposed to do it or am I supposed to do it?"  The answer is "yes" and "yes".  Paul says we are God's "co-workers".  This means we work with God.  God gives us His grace, and we use this gift of God to work with him.  Like any gift, we can receive it and not use it. We can choose not to work with God.  
I received a nice gift from my wife for my birthday recently.  It was sitting on my dresser and this morning I said, "I am going to use this gift". I am so excited to see what my ancestry looks like through "23andme".  But unless I took it out of the package, I would never be able to enjoy her gift.  I would have received it in vain.  
God has given us several of His gifts.  First, the gift of salvation in Christ.  Jesus freely gave his life so our sins might be forgiven through his death on the cross.  Next, God gave us the gift of His Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, who lives within us.  The Holy Spirit gives us the gift of faith, guides us, and keeps us in faith.  Finally, the Holy Spirit gives us gifts to build God's kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. 
But ... you COULD receive all these gifts in vain if don't use them.  It is not so much that God needs us or our work, but He uses us as we allow Him.  Paul did not receive God's grace in vain.  He poured himself out like a drink offering so that God could use his fullest potential for the kingdom.  We have been gifted with God's grace in every way, let's use it!   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?