How Can Jesus Teach Us How to Respond When We Are Attacked?

One of the things that always amazes me about the account of Jesus' last days is how calm he is. Let's look at how he responds when he is confronted and arrested by a detachment of soldiers led by Judas. Maybe we can learn something.

Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground. Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they said. Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”

1. Jesus did not have to go peacefully.  He clearly had power with which he could have escaped easily.  Instead he gave them a glimpse of his deity.  When he uttered the words "I am he" he is referring to the divine Name the Israelites used to address their God,Yahweh.  After getting a glimpse of His divinty the soldiers fell to the ground in awe of the Divine presence.  

2. Jesus didn't shrink away when they came to arrest him.  He practically said, "Here I am arrest me!"  Jesus knew the plan was going to unfold this way.  He knew Judas would betray him.  He knew Peter would betray him.  Jesus told them "I am he" twice almost in effect saying, "Come on get on with what you came here to do." 

3. Jesus was more concerned about the fate of the disciples than himself.

One commentator says it this way, 

"This was the same sacrificial love that would find its ultimate peak at the cross. It also shows why Jesus knocked the soldiers to the ground; the show of power was to protect the disciples, not Jesus Himself." (Guzik)

A question you and I might ask ourselves is how do I respond when I am personally being threatened?  Jesus had all the weapons at his disposal to fight power with power, yet he cared more about his friends than his own skin.  He gave a measured response, which showed he was the one actually in control.  

I am sure there is an application for us as we face how to respond to the challenges and anger in our country right now.  As we approach these challenges in our world we should be asking, "How would Jesus respond?Would he react to the accusations all of us might be feeling? Would he think about how to serve others in the midst of the personal attack he was receiving? How can I do that? If you are like me, when I am personally attacked, I want to strike out at the one who is trying to bring me down.  I am hoping that as we look at Jesus' humble, self sacrificial attitude and actions, we respond in a Christ-like manner.  I believe by responding like Jesus might can lead to real change in our country. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?