What Does Jesus Pray for You?

Sometimes we wonder how should we pray for someone.  It is always comforting for me to know someone is praying for me.  One of the greatest acts of kindness we can give to another is to pray with and for them.  It is one of greatest gifts God has given us.  Jesus modeled what prayer looks like and specifically how in prayer he talked to His Father at every important situation in his life.  In this passage before he leaves Jesus shares how he will be praying for them and by application for us. 

John 17:9-13 "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. 13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them." 

1. First, Jesus prays for protection for them.  Jesus always recognized that there is evil in the world, which is why he prayed "deliver us from the evil one".  Jesus knew that our common enemy the devil would target his disciples who would be apostles on his behalf.  Jesus prays for protection for you too.  You are covered in prayer by the son of God. 

2. Next, Jesus prays for unity for them based on the unity He has with the Father. Jesus says that He and the Father are ONE.  One of the sad things we see today in our country the midst of the rioting, looting and political division is a lack of unity.  What will heal our nation is that we would be ONE as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one.  We are all children of God which makes us family. 

3. Finally, Jesus wants us to experience full measure of his joy. Though we will experience pain and suffering in this world as Jesus' disciples, we can have joy through him.  He prays for it on our behalf.  Nehemiah the prophets says to God's people in chapter 8, "The joy of the Lord is my strength.  Notice it is his joy and he gives it to us. 

I hope you take as much comfort as I do that Jesus is covering us in prayer.  He is your prayer partner.  As he prays for you, pray for others in His name. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?