Memorizing the Psalms!

Click Here to Listen to the Readings

Click Here to Read Psalm 16 (RSV)

This psalm has special significance to me because I asked God to give me a psalm that I could make my own. God led me to this psalm and I memorized it. Memorizing scripture is so powerful because it hids God's word in your heart. When you are in the car, at work, talking a walk, you can recite the verse in your head and meditate on its meaning. 

"I have hidden your word in my heart so that I might not sin against thee!" Psalm 119:11

So here is the psalm. I really like the RSV version because that is the version I remembered it in and was the first bible given to me when I was confirmed in the Lutheran church in 8th grade.

Preserve me, O God, for in thee I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “Thou art my Lord; I have no good apart from thee.” As for the saints in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight. Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows; their libations of blood I will not pour out or take their names upon my lips. The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; thou holdest my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me, I keep the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure. For thou dost not give me up to Sheol, or let thy godly one see the Pit. Thou dost show me the path of life; in thy presence there is fulness of joy, in thy right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Can you see the trust David has in His God. Because he is at his right hand he will not be moved. His boldness came from knowing the Lord was right beside him. David admitted that in and of himself he didn't amount to much when says, "I have no good apart from thee!" David took "refuge" in the Lord. Where do you run to when your life seems out of control. David also looks forward to the resurrection in Christ when he says, "Thou dost show me the path of life; in thy presence there is fulness of joy, in thy right hand are pleasures for evermore."

David was a man after God's own heart because God was his refuge and ever present help in time of need. He realized he had nothing apart from God, but He knew God would preserve him in any and every situation!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?