2 Corinthians 12 - The Great Paradox of the Christian Life!

 2 Corinthians 12 - NIV

Enduring Word Commentary

Paul’s Vision and His Thorn

12 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

This is the famous passage where we learn abouit Paul's, "thorn in the flesh", There are countless interpretations as to what this actually means. But is no one compelling explanation. One day we will find out from Paul personally. But for now this passage gives us many things to focus on as we deal with our own "thorns in the flesh."  These verses give us insight not only into the thorn in the flesh Paul struggled with, and gives us spiritual principles as we deal with ours! 

First of all the context of the passage is that Paul is explaining a revelation and an experience which he describes as being, "caught up in the third heaven." What does he mean by, "third heaven"? 

 “In the sacred writings three heavens only are mentioned. The first is the atmosphere… The second, the starry heaven… And, thirdly, the place of the blessed, or the throne of the Divine glory.” (Clarke)

This is why it is called translated "paradise". Paul says that it was because of these ecstactic experiences that he was given a "thorn in the flesh" to keep him from getting conceited! 

So what can we learn from this? 

1. It is comforting to know one of the greatest missionaries and followers of Jesus Christ struggled with pride and the desires of the flesh. The Greek word for "flesh", which is "sarx", can mean a lot of different things. We also translate it "sinful nature". Basically it is that part of us that is self-sufficient, self-centered, willful, prideful, lustfuil and greedy.  Can anyone relate

My "thorn in the flesh" is probably different than yours! But if you are a follower of Jesus, you will battle the sinful desires of the flesh and will struggle with your own "thorn in the flesh". 

2. The thorn in our flesh is exploited by our enemy, the devil. The devil knows our weak spots and the "chink in our armor". He is not dumb. He tries to get us in our weakest moments in the weakest areas of our lives. 

As I mentioned yesterday, Paul said, "Let us not be unaware of the devil's. The devil loves it when we get "spiritually prideful" and "naive". 

As we know from the scriptures, "Pride comes before a fall." Proverbs 16:18. 

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10:12,

"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!" 

When we try to fight these spiritual battlles in our own power we will ceraintly lose. This is why Paul was grateful for his thorn in the flesh, because it made him rely on the grace of God in Christ. If fact, he says he delighted in his weaknesses and trials, because it drove him to rely on God's grace. This verse summarizes it all,

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

This is a the paradox of the Christian life. When I am weak, I am strong. But when I think I am strong I am weak. 

What is the thorn in your flesh? In what area of your life are you most prone to give in to the flesh? How can this passage help you to realize that even though you have many weakensses, God can use all of them to show you His all-sufficient grace through His Son! 

Heavenly Father, we come before you as your servants. We confess that all too often we become prideful of our spiritual accomplishments. Help us to be aware of these times, and be aware of the evil one, who prowls like a lion looking to destroy us. Remind us that Jesus has overcome sin, death, and the power of the devil on the cross, where he defeated him once and for all.  Help us live in the freedom of this victory and rely on him for all we do. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 16 - The Households of Lydia and the Philippian Jailer Come to Faith and Are Baptized TOGETHER!

Romans 3 - Alien Righteousness

Matthew 18:6-9 Causing to Stumble