2 Corinthians 13 - Can You Know If You Are A Christian?
5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. 8 For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. 9 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is that you may be fully restored. 10 This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not have to be harsh in my use of authority—the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.
As Paul concludes his second letter to the Corinthians, he asks them a very important question. He says to them, "Examine yourselves to see if you are in the faith." He is essentially asking them to ask the question, "Am I really a Christian?"
This is the most important question you will ever ask yourself.
He is not asking this question in the sense of passing the test of having your good deeds outweighing your bad deeds. It is not about hoping God "grades on a curve". Meaning to you do enough good deeds to get a "A grade". The test is, "Is Christ in you!" The test of being a Christian is a very personal one, and at the end of the day only God knows if you are a Christian. But there are some clues.
If Christ is in you, you will know it. Paul says in Galatians 2:20,
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
So how can we know that Christ is in us? Jesus promised his disciples that it was good for them if he left, because he would send them the Holy Spirit, who would guide them into the truth.
Do you have peace about your future salvation? I.e. Do you have confidence you are going to heaven when you die? I am not saying this in a prideful but more from the confidence that comes from knowing Jesus. How can I know this. Check out this verse!
"The Holy Spirit is a downpayment of our future inheritance, and the assurance of our salvation." Ephesians 1:14
Another sign of the Spirit's presence in your life is the "fruit of the Spirit".
"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against these there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23
None of us are perfect, and I know I certainly fall short in many these areas, but can others who know you well see the fruit of the Spirit in your life?
If Christ is in you, you will not be comfortable with sin. Though we will always struggle with our sinful nature, we never think it is ok to live in it. The Holy Spirit won't let us unless our consciences are seared.
I also think that if Christ is in you, you will have a concern for lost people who don't know him. Once you become a believer, you will naturally want others to be in heaven with you, especially those who you love.
I think another sign of Christ being in you, is that you will care for people who are hurting. The love of Christ will cause you to love others even though they might be very different from you. After all the bible says,
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 5 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke 6:32,35-36
These are a few of the signs that Christ is in you, but only you are the one who truly knows it. If you don't know it, there is a good chance you don't know him. But the Good News is that He knows you. He loves you and died for you on the cross. To those who believe in him they will not perish but have eternal life.
Do you know Christ? How do you know? It is not about being a good person or doing good things. The question is who or what are you putting your trust in? If you trust in Jesus as Your Savior and Lord, He lives in you and will be with you forever.
God thank you that you sent Jesus so that we can know you. Help us to live our lives so that people will know we are your disciples. Help us to love and live like Jesus did to draw more people to you. We thank you for your grace which is sufficient for us in Him. Amen.
Thank you for sharing this inspiring message. God bless you. Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada.
ReplyDelete