Daily Bread 2010 - 1 Corinthians 9

Daily Bread 2010 – 1 Corinthians 9

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


In this chapter, Paul describes how a person, who serves the gospel, has right to earn his living by it. He quotes several examples where a person doing the work was entitled to its fruit. Indeed this is the operating principle in our Western society. But Paul also shows the true heart of his apostleship, when he has denied himself this right so that no one might claim that he is preaching the gospel for personal gain. He and Barnabas were tentmakers that helped fund the ministry.

At the end of the chapter, we see the nature of “incarnational” ministry, which is meeting people on their turf in order to win them for Christ. When Paul relates to the Jews in His ministry he does so using the Law, as this is their worldview. But when he related to those who were not brought up on the Law, he related to them as one not having the Law (as summarized in the Ten Commandments!).

Like in the previous chapter, the main issue is not to put a stumbling block in someone’s path to receiving God’s grace. I have heard someone say the only thing that should be offensive is the “gospel”. That is that God took on human flesh and died for us so that we might have life and life abundantly.

As Paul goes about his task as an apostle, and a church planter, we see how much focus and energy he works with. He compares it with an elite athlete who does everything in their power to make sure their lack of training and practice won’t disqualify them from winning the prize. And Paul reasons if people in the world can work so hard for a prize that is here today and gone tomorrow, how can we not at least work for something that will be eternal in nature and scope.

Dear Jesus, as we follow you help us like Paul to be single minded about things that will last for eternity. Give us a sense of the urgency to share the Good News with our friends and others in our community by which they might be saved and come into a relationship with you. In Your Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?