Who Are You Imitating??



Reflection: As Paul addresses the young Corinthian church, of utmost concern to him is the unity of the body of Christ.  In this young church as often happens in churches, the people started following the personality of the leader vs. Christ.  Paul hears reports that some follow him, some Apollos, some Cephas (Peter) and some are audacious enough to say we follow Christ (not is a good way!).  Paul’s concern is that their faith is resting in man vs. God. 

As Paul says in another letter, “Imitate me as I imitate Christ!”  There is a fine balance between being someone’s mentor or coach, and showing them a model for life in Christ. Between their following you as a person, versus Christ.  There are two extremes here.  One is where a person forgets to point people to Christ out of their own need for affirmation.  The other extreme is someone who is so concerned about taking credit from Jesus, that they don’t do anything at all. 

One of the biggest weaknesses in the Church right now is a systematic approach to discipleship based on grace through faith in the power of the Holy Spirit and leaders who model this and teach it, while still pointing to Jesus not themselves.  Of course, we are disciples of Jesus and no one else, but other people in our lives to facilitate this process.  As the Proverbs say, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another!” 

Paul’s singular vision was to preach Jesus, and Jesus crucified and he knew the power in the message was in the power of Jesus’ laying his life down, being crucified and risen from the dead, not in human wisdom or eloquence of speech.  It was even said that Paul was not quite as smooth as an orator like some others (Apollos), but again Paul was glad that this pointed people to Christ and not his personality or giftedness. 

Where do you tend to rely on your natural gifts and/or personality instead of Christ?  How can this potentially get in the way for people who are looking to see Christ in you the hope of glory? Could you say to someone “Imitate me as I imitate Christ?” Who are you imitating?  Is there someone in your life worth imitating as they imitate Christ? 

Psalm 49:13-20
13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,
    and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
14 They are like sheep and are destined to die;
    death will be their shepherd
    (but the upright will prevail over them in the morning).
Their forms will decay in the grave,
    far from their princely mansions.
15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;
    he will surely take me to himself.
16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
    when the splendor of their houses increases;
17 for they will take nothing with them when they die,
    their splendor will not descend with them.
18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
    and people praise you when you prosper—
19 they will join those who have gone before them,
    who will never again see the light of life.
20 People who have wealth but lack understanding
    are like the beasts that perish.

Job 19
19 Then Job replied:

2 “How long will you torment me
    and crush me with words?
3 Ten times now you have reproached me;
    shamelessly you attack me.
4 If it is true that I have gone astray,
    my error remains my concern alone.
5 If indeed you would exalt yourselves above me
    and use my humiliation against me,
6 then know that God has wronged me
    and drawn his net around me.
7 “Though I cry, ‘Violence!’ I get no response;
    though I call for help, there is no justice.
8 He has blocked my way so I cannot pass;
    he has shrouded my paths in darkness.
9 He has stripped me of my honor
    and removed the crown from my head.
10 He tears me down on every side till I am gone;
    he uproots my hope like a tree.
11 His anger burns against me;
    he counts me among his enemies.
12 His troops advance in force;
    they build a siege ramp against me
    and encamp around my tent.
13 “He has alienated my family from me;
    my acquaintances are completely estranged from me.
14 My relatives have gone away;
    my closest friends have forgotten me.
15 My guests and my female servants count me a foreigner;
    they look on me as on a stranger.
16 I summon my servant, but he does not answer,
    though I beg him with my own mouth.
17 My breath is offensive to my wife;
    I am loathsome to my own family.
18 Even the little boys scorn me;
    when I appear, they ridicule me.
19 All my intimate friends detest me;
    those I love have turned against me.
20 I am nothing but skin and bones;
    I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth.
21 “Have pity on me, my friends, have pity,
    for the hand of God has struck me.
22 Why do you pursue me as God does?
    Will you never get enough of my flesh?
23 “Oh, that my words were recorded,
    that they were written on a scroll,
24 that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead,
    or engraved in rock forever!
25 I know that my redeemer lives,
    and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
    yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
    with my own eyes—I, and not another.
    How my heart yearns within me!
28 “If you say, ‘How we will hound him,
    since the root of the trouble lies in him,’
29 you should fear the sword yourselves;
    for wrath will bring punishment by the sword,
    and then you will know that there is judgment.”

1 Corinthians 1:10-20
A Church Divided Over Leaders

10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Who observes my ordinances, and follows my statutes; he shall not die for his father’s iniquity. Ezekiel 18:17

If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:8

Liberating God, we follow your ordinances over the ways of human construction. At times, this may bring criticism upon ourselves, but may we be ever faithful to the way of Christ over any other semblance of law. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?