Hurry Up God!

Psalm 70
For the director of music. Of David. A petition.
Hasten, O God, to save me;
    come quickly, Lord, to help me.
May those who want to take my life
    be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
    be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
    turn back because of their shame.
But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
  “The Lord is great!”
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    Lord, do not delay.

We live in a world of instant gratification.  We want things and we want them now.  If we have to wait at “fast food” drive-through, we get quickly miffed at how long it is taking.  With cell phones we can text, tweet and post and get replies in moments.  But when we pray to God, it doesn’t work that way.  God does not act on our whims or “text” prayers.  God listens for sure, but He answers in His timing not ours.  And this is for our own good.

In today’s psalm, David twice says, “come quickly” to me. Lord, “do not delay”.  More than anything David is urgently asking God to save him from his enemies.  I think when David says “hasten” and “do not delay”, he is not so much questioning God’s ability to act and act fast, but calling out to God fervently.  He knows God can do anything and in His timing, he is just asking God to come quickly.  I don’t see anything wrong in that. 

It is usually when we are in trouble that we ask God to come quickly.  When we pray in this way we are expressing our trust in God, and that He is the only one who can save us albeit in His timing.  Notice too by crying out to God, David does not take revenge against those who are ridiculing him. It shows he is relying on God no matter how long it takes. 

Where do you need God to “come quickly” in your life?  In our instant gratification culture, God may not instantly answer your prayer, but know God hears your prayer and it is just a matter of time before He answers it.        


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?