Stay Spiritually Hydrated!

Psalm 63:1 "You, God, are my God,
    earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
    my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
    where there is no water
I have seen you in the sanctuary
    and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
    my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
    and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise

There are two things that are a constant on any given day.  You will be hungry, and you will be thirsty.  These are natural desires we need to be satisfied in a regular way to be sustained. On top of just providing what we need for our bodies to survive, both activities bring a lot of pleasure. 

There is nothing like a cold cup of water or lemonade on a hot summer day when you are parched. Or that first bite into your steak after preparing it perfectly on your grill.  Okay, you fill in what works for you, those work for me.  

David, in Psalm 63, teaches us about another kind of desire. A desire for our soul to connect with God. In fact our soul was meant to connect to our maker, as our soul came from God.  Our soul is simply that part of us that we cannot see.  It is immaterial.  But we can feel it if our soul is not being fed.  

St. Augustine writes, "My soul is restless until it rests in thee!"  

David says, "In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water, my soul thirsts for you. My whole being longs for you!"  David realized it was important to tend his soul early and often.  David made it a priority to feast on the things that fed his soul, which led him to praise God.  Charles Spurgeon, the famous preacher, says this about regularly getting your soul nourished, 

“Learn from this, and do not say, ‘I will get into communion with God when I feel better,’ but long for communion now. It is one of the temptations of the devil to tell you not to pray when you do not feel like praying. Pray twice as much then.” 

Dehydration, which is deadly, sneaks up on you.  Trust me I used to get dehydrated playing football, especially in the hot summer months.  Therefore, you have to hydrate before practice, during practice and after practice.  Our soul needs hydration before we get spiritually dehydrated!  

Have you fed your soul today?  Don't delay connect with God and pour out heart to him. Don't go to bed hungry or thirsty tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?