Daily Bread 2010 - Revelation 7

Daily Bread 2010 - Revelation 7
13 Then one of the elders asked me, “These in white robes—who are they, and where did they come from?” 14 I answered, “Sir, you know.” And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore,
“They are before the throne of God
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne
will shelter them with his presence.
16 ‘Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat down on them,’
nor any scorching heat.
17 For the Lamb at the center of the throne
will be their shepherd;
‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’

‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.’”

Revelation 7 probably gives us the most vivid imagery of what heaven will be like. After describing the 144,000 from the 12 tribes of Israel that were set apart to be saved, John sees a vision of a multitude that no one can count before the throne of God serving him day and night. This is described as people from every nation, tribe and language.

In this idyllic scene, we see heaven a place where: there is no hunger or thirst, ultimate healing of all of painful memories and experiences (i.e. God will wipe away every tear from our eyes), and finally we will be led to springs of living water. In addition, we will be in God’s presence in under shelter. All of the usual struggles we face, including inclement weather will also be absent.

In the past when we ate or drank we were bound to be thirsty, again but this glimpse of heaven talks about springs of living water that will satisfy us. The theme is one of abundance. Jesus speaks of this in John 10:10 where he says, “I have come to give them life and life abundantly.”
As we come to Christ, we see a small foretaste of heaven as a believer, but they seem to come and go quickly.
One can only imagine each day being filled with the satisfaction we feel on earth momentarily, forever in heaven. As the Christian praise band Mercy Me sings, “I Can Only Imagine”, the lyrics are:

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side
I can only imagine

What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only ima
gine

Indeed we can only imagine what that day will be like, but I think we need to spend more time imagining don’t you?

Dear Jesus, we thank for this image you give us of what it will be like to be with you and the Father surrounded by your glory. Our hearts hunger for that day when we will be with you face to face but for today we can only imagine what it will be like. Thanks for making a way for us to finally go home to be with you and Father in the power of the Spirit, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?