My Grace is Sufficient!

Image result for my grace is sufficient

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 "Because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Paul continues to defend himself "tongue in cheek" with the super apostles that appear to have bragged of their spiritual experiences to the Corinthians.  So Paul, in third person, describes a person who was caught up to the "third heaven".  He was not sure if it was an "in body" experience, or an "out of body" experience.  It didn't really matter.  We know Paul was talking about himself when he returns to the first person in the story.

But then he goes on to say that to keep him from getting prideful a "thorn in the flesh" was given to him.  We know the word "flesh" means "sinful nature", which Paul talks about quite a bit.  Since the thorn was given to keep Paul from being conceited it was most likely someone very personal to him.  Some have suggested some physical malady or weakness.  But it seems to be something that was more embarrasing for Paul.  It could have been a particular sin that kept surfacing, or recurrent lustful thoughts.  Paul talked about the flesh so much it would appear to be something related to his fleshly desires.  Bottom line is we don't know what he meant and maybe that is a good thing.  Why? Because since it is not specified we all can relate it to our "thorn in the flesh".

But more importantly Paul boasts of this weakness he experienced because it showed Jesus' grace more clearly.  By being confronted with his weakness, Paul became more reliant on Jesus' strength.  Jesus specifically said to Paul within this trial, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  There are two very important phrases here, "my grace" and "my power".  

We so often want to justify or prove ourselves. When we realize we are powerless, we turn to God's grace and it is sufficient.  It is also powerful.  It is an interesting paradox that in our powerlessness we truly experience Jesus' power.  Notice it is not my power but His.  I think if we get those two things right we can face any weakness.  By focusing on Jesus' all sufficiency, we take the focus off of ourselves it transfer to our Lord and Savior.  

While there is nothing wrong with supernatural encounters with God, we are just as powerful when we are totally reliant on God's grace due to our weakness.  Where do you need to rely on God's grace and power in your life?  You might ask, "What am I totally powerless over in my life?" As you recognize this you have a chance to be truly strong!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?