What is the Christian Life?

Image result for if righteousness came by the law then Christ died for nothing

Galatians 2:19-21"For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Paul relates today his own journey with the law to grace.  He had to die to the law, because it could not give him any life.  Though the law was good and right, it could not make him good and right with God.  But when he died to the law and put his faith in Christ, he began to REALLY live for God.

Then, Paul gives a short summary of his new life in Christ.  Verses 20-21 are classic verses and worthy of memorizing.  It is Paul's creed for Christian living.  Paul uses the metaphor of crucifixion to talk about how he put to death his sinful nature.  He died to himself being the center of the universe.  By dying to self, allowed Christ to live in him.  The void left of legalism and works was filled with the very presence of Christ.    

Finally, Paul sums it up quite well.  If he could have earned his salvation then Jesus would not have had to die on the cross. There are only two ways, two disparate paths to God.  We can either earn our way to God through works, or accept a righteousness that comes through faith in Christ.  These two ideas are diametrically opposed.  They cannot both be true.  Paul put all of his chips in the grace bucket.  His complete confidence was not in the flesh, but in Jesus Christ, his Lord and Savior whose righteousness became his by faith.  

This then is our model for life.  We live each day by faith trusting in Christ living in and through us.  We deny ourselves and crucify the flesh.  When I say this I mean the flesh that wants to be in control.  The flesh that wants attention.  The flesh that says, "Don't tell me what to do!"  The flesh that says, "I really don't feel like doing that good deed right now!"  By dying to self we can live for God and experience the abundant life that Paul lived.  It is really the only way to truly live.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?