Free of Charge!

Image result for free of charge
2 Corinthians 11:5-9 "I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.” I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of Godto you free of charge? I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so."


If you didn't think Paul had a sarcastic side to him, you haven't read this chapter.  Paul was being criticized because he did not expect fees for sharing the gospel with them. His apostolic credentials were being challenged because he did not behave in a way some others did.  Some think he had either an unimpressive appearance and/or was not an eloquent speaker. 

One commentator puts it this way,

"In Paul’s day, the ability to speak in a polished, sophisticated, entertaining way was popular. Others (such as the most eminent apostles the Corinthian Christians loved so much) were able to speak in this manner, but Paul was either unable or unwilling to preach in this way. It didn’t matter to Paul because he wasn’t concerned with meeting people’s standards for a “polished” or “entertaining” speaker; he was concerned with faithfully preaching the gospel." (Guzik)

There is nothing wrong with being a dynamic communicator, having a good sense of humor or having a charismatic personality.  What is important is that the message preached is centered and rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not about me, but about Him.  Paul says something similar we he says, 

 "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power." 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

 The goal for any preacher or teacher is to get out of the way and clearly present Jesus.  The only offensive thing in our message should be the gospel that Jesus died for you and me. What is freeing about this for anyone who chooses or is led to share the gospel with someone is that it is not about performance.  It is a simple gospel about what God has done for us which we were powerless to do.  Paul says it this way, "God proved his love for us that while were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts 22 - Paul Sees the Light

2 Timothy 4 - Fight the Good Fight! Finish the Race!

Hebrews 6 - Have You Graduated From Elementary School of Faith Yet?